• The 3-time Runners-up, Netherlands will lock horns with the Debutants, Qatar in Group A Round 3 fixture in the 2022 FIFA World Cup at the Al Bayt Stadium, Al-Khor on Tuesday, 29th November, 2022 evening in Qatar.
By: Isaac Amponsah Dr Ike and Bright Yeboah Taylor (byt)
Predictions: Home win/draw
• The 2022 FIFA World Cup is the 22nd edition since the competition started in 1930 is the 11th appearance for Netherlands while it is the 1st appearance for Qatar.
• The Group A final showdown on Tuesday, 29th November, 2022 will be Netherlands and Qatar first ever International meeting between the two sides.
Total matches played - 0
Netherlands wins - 0
Goals scored - 0
Qatar wins - 0
Goals scored - 0
Drawn games - 0
• MATCH FACTS:
• The Oranje of Netherlands are ranked 8th in the FIFA rankings, their first International game was 30th April, 1905 (Belgium 1-4 Netherlands).
• The Maroon of Qatar are currently ranked 50th by FIFA lastest rankings on 6th October, 2022, their first International game was 27th March, 1970 (Bahrain 2-1 Qatar) [Isa Town, Bahrain].
• Netherlands most cap player is Wesley Sneijder with 134 caps.
• Qatar most caps player is Hassan Al Haidos with 170 games with 36 goals.
• Netherlands top scorer for the National team is Robin Van Persie with 50 goals in 102 caps. Memphis Depay is the active player with 42 goals in 82 caps.
• Qatar top scorer for the National team is Mansoor Muftah (81 caps) and Almoez Ali (85 caps) with 42 goals each. Almoez Ali is an active player and has the opportunity to increase his goal tally for his Nation.
• Remarkably, the Netherlands have only ever lost two out of thirty-two (32) Group stage matches at the FIFA World Cup (this includes first and second group stage). The only teams to have defeated the Dutch in group matches are Scotland (1978) and Belgium (1994).
• The Netherlands have kept four (4) clean sheets out of their last five (5) FIFA World Cup matches.
• The Netherlands have won all five (5) of their FIFA World Cup games against Asian sides, scoring eleven (11) goals and conceding just once.
• Netherlands vs Qatar encounter is the Dutch fourth FIFA World Cup match against a host Nation, they lost the 1974 and 1978 finals to Germany and Argentina respectively, before beating Brazil in the third place play-off in the 2014 edition.
• Only in 1978 (2-3 vs Scotland) have the Netherlands lost their final Group stage match at the FIFA World Cup (excluding second group phases), winning four (4) and drawing three (3).
• The Netherlands have scored with three (3) of their four (4) shots on target at the 2022 FIFA World Cup, although they only managed one in their 1-1 draw with Ecuador.
• Since 1966, the Netherlands fewest total shots on target in a group stage at the FIFA World Cup is ten (10) in the 1990 edition.
• The Netherlands managed just two (2) shots at goal in their 1-1 draw with Ecuador on MD2; that was the fewest efforts at goal by a European Nation in a FIFA World Cup game on record since 1966.
• Cody Gakpo has been directly involved in at least one goal in his last five appearances for the Netherlands in all competitions (4 goals, 1 assist).
• For club and country in all competitions this season, Gakpo has been involved in thirty-four (34) goals in twenty-eight (28) appearances, scoring sixteen (16) goals and assisting a further eighteen (18).
• Cody Gakpo has put Netherlands 1-0 up in both of their FIFA World Cup games in 2022. Only three (3) players have ever scored in three (3) players have ever scored in three (3) consecutive FIFA World Cup appearances for the Dutch National side: Johan Neeskens (1974), Dennis Bergkamp (1994) and Wesley Sneijder (2010).
• The Netherlands are UNBEATEN in their last fifteen (15) Group stage matches at the FIFA World Cup (W11 D4).
• Excluding penalty shoot-outs, the Netherlands have lost only one (1) of their last sixeen (16) FIFA World Cup matches (W12 D3).
• The Netherlands are UNBEATEN in their last seventeen (17) International matches (W12 D5), all since Louis van Gaal was appointed coach in August 2021.
• The Netherlands have only failed to score in one (1) of their last thirty (30) International games.
• The Netherlands have never failed to qualify from a FIFA World Cup group in their ten (10) previous attempts since 1934 when they made their first appearance at the competition.
• The Netherlands have been able to finished first in their group in a group stage at the FIFA World Cup on seven (7) occasions from ten appearances in a group stage.
• Against Senegal, Louis van Gaal (71y 105d) became the third oldest coach in World Cup history after Otto Rehhagel (71y 317d) with Greece in 2010 and Óscar Tabárez (71y 125d) with Uruguay in 2018 edition.
• Since the inception of FIFA World Cup in 1930, eighty (80) National teams have competed at the Final tournaments, and Qatar were the last new team when they lost 0-2 to Ecuador on Sunday, 20th Nov. 2022 in MD1.
• The Maroon of Qatar have lost both of their first 2022 FIFA World Cup games; no single host Nation has ever as many as three matches at an edition of the competition.
• The Host country has won their final Group stage match in five (5) of the last six (6) FIFA World Cup tournaments (including both Japan and Korea Republic as joint-hosts in 2002), with Russia losing 3-0 to Uruguay in 2018 in the other.
• Qatar have now conceded five (5) goals in the group stages, no host Nation has ever conceded more in a single group stage, with South Africa also conceding five (5) in 2010 edition.
• Qatar are UNBEATEN in their last four (4) International matches against European opposition (W2 D2).
• The Maroon of Qatar didn't register a short on target against Ecuador on MD1, since 1966, the only side to fail to land a single shot on target in consecutive FIFA World Cup games is USA, doing so against Czech Republic and Italy in the 2006 edition.
• Qatar are taking part in their first ever FIFA World Cup, whilst also being first nation from the Arab world to host the tournament.
• Qatar became only the second hosts to be knocked-out in the first Round of a FIFA World Cup, after South Africa in 2010 when they lost 1-3 to Senegal in MD2.
• Qatar are looking to become the first nation from the AFC Confederation to win their first ever FIFA World Cup match. Twelve (12) of the previous thirteen (13) such sides have lost (including Israel in 1970), with Kuwait in 1982 the only side to avoid defeat (1-1 vs Czechoslovakia).
• Against Senegal, Qatar became the 75th different country to score a goal at the FIFA World Cup history.
• In their MD2 game against Senegal, Mohammed Muntari became the first player to score for Qatar at the FIFA World Cup.
• The 2022 edition of FIFA World Cup is the first time the tournament kicked off on a SUNDAY since the 1982 edition, with Belgium beating holders Argentina 1-0 in Barcelona.
• Netherlands are 1st with 4 points after MD2 games while Qatar are 4th with 0 point on Group A log of the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
LEAVE A COMMENT