• The Black Stars of Ghana continue their campaign to qualify for the 2023 AFCON tournament this evening as they face the Palancas Negras of Angola at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium on Thursday 23rd March, 2023.
• The 4-time AFCON Champions, Ghana lock on with the 2-time AFCON Quarter-finalist, Angola in the 2023 AFCON Qualifier Group E Round 3 at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium on Thursday evening.
Predictions: Home win/draw
• The 2023 AFCON qualifiers showdown on Thursday, 23rd March, 2023 will be Ghana Black Stars and Angola Palancas Negras third meetings in all completions.
• Wednesday, 18th November, 2009 (International Friendly)
Angola 0-0 Ghana
• Saturday, 24th January, 2010 (2010 AFCON) [Quarter-finals]
At Estadio 11 de Novembro, Luanda
Angola 0-1 Ghana
Asamoah Gyan 15'
Total matches played - 2
Ghana wins - 1
Goals scored - 1
Angola wins - 0
Goals scored - 0
Drawn games - 1
• MATCH FACTS:
• The Black Stars of Ghana are ranked 58th in the FIFA rankings on 22nd December, 2022, their first International game was 28th May, 1950 (Gold Coast and British Togoland 1-0 Nigeria) [Accra, British Gold Coast].
• The Palancas Negras of Angola are ranked 117 by FIFA latest rankings on 22nd December, 2022, their first International game was 8th February, 1976 (Congo 3-2 Angola) [Brazzaville, Congo].
• The Black Stars of Ghana most caps player is Andre Ayew in 113 caps with 24 goals.
• The Palancas Negras of Angola most caps player is Flavio in 91 caps with 34 goals.
• Ghana National team all-time top scorer is Asamoah Gyan with 51 goals in 109 caps.
• Angola National team all-time top scorer is Akwa with 39 goals in 78 caps.
• Ghana are located at the West Africa which is part of the WAFU Regional Federation.
• Angola are located at the Southern Africa which is part of the COSAFA Regional Federation.
• GHANA RECORDS AT AFCON QUALIFIERS.
• Ghana started playing the Nations Cup qualifies in 1961 for the Ethiopia 1962 Cup of Nations.
• The first country to play Ghana was Nigeria
8th April, 1961 at Lagos
Nigeria 0-0 Ghana
• 30th April, 1961 at Accra Sports Stadium
Ghana 2-2 Nigeria
Edward Acquah, Aggrey Fynn//Dejofayemi, Elkanah Onyeali.
• NOTE: Nigeria won on lots.
The drawing of lots took place in London on 27th September, 1961 so Nigeria qualified ahead of Ghana.
• Edward Acquah was the first player to SCORE a goal for Ghana in a Nations Cup Qualifiers.
• Ghana have qualified automatically as a Host and as a Defending Champions. And Ghana have been in the Nations Cup Tournament on 23 Occasions since 1963 and have won the title on four (4) times (1963, 1965, 1978 and 1982).
• Ghana have lost three  times at Home in the AFCON Qualifies.
• The first time was 1971 against Togo, 1973 against Ivory Coast and 1987 against Sierra Leone.
• NB: This means the last time Ghana lost at HOME in a Nations Cup qualifies was 1987, for the qualifies of Morocco 1988.
• 30th March, 1987 [BLACK MONDAY]
Ghana 1-2 Sierra Leone
Abdul Aziz 80'//John Dumbuya (brace) 5' & 55'
• They beat Ghana on Monday that the Newspapers referred to as 'Black Monday'. It was in 1987. They led 2-0 till the Black Stars got a consolation goal in the dying minute from skipper, Abdul Aziz from Nana Eshun cross. This was from the work of Alhaji Bello. The Black Stars wore Red outfit that day.
• The game was played just after Ohene Djan passed away and the Black Stars had on black arm bands. Ghana Goal-keeper was Mohammed Odoom. The coach was Rudi Gutendorf from Germany.
• Angola qualified for their first Africa Cup of Nations in 1996 and have so far appeared 8 times in the competition.
• Palancas Negras of Angola Best finish at AFCON tournament is Quarter-finals on two (2) occasions (2008, 2010).
• LET'S LOOK AT GHANA GAMES ON THURSDAY.
• Since 1960, Ghana have so far played 40 games on THURSDAY in all competitions (AFCON, AFCON qualifiers, World Cup, World Cup qualifiers, International Friendlies).
W17 D13 L10 GF63 GA45
• Ghana AFCON qualifiers games on THURSDAY since 1961.
• 24/03/16 Ghana 3-1 Mozambique
• 14/11/19 Ghana 2-0 South Africa
• 12/11/20 Ghana 2-0 Sudan
• 25/03/21 South Africa 1-1 Ghana
W3 D1 GF8 GA2
• Since 1961, Ghana has SCORED in each of their AFCON QUALIFIERS games played on THURSDAY.
• LET'S LOOK AT ANGOLA GAMES ON THURSDAY.
• Angola have so far played 12 games on THURSDAY in all completions since 1984.
W4 D5 L3 GF12 GA8
• Angola lost their only previous AFCON Qualifiers game played on THURSDAY since 1984.
• 25th March, 2021 (AFCON Qualifiers) [Group D]
Gambia 1-0 Angola
Ceesay A. 62'
L1 GF0 GA1
• LET'S LOOK AT TWO (2) NATIONS GAMES IN THE MONTH OF MARCH.
• Since 1960, Ghana so far played 40 games in the month of MARCH in all competitions.
W14 D17 L9 GF48 GA33
• Ghana are UNBEATEN in their previous 6 AFCON Qualifiers games in the month of MARCH since 1961.
• 28/03/21 (AFCON qualifiers)
Ghana 3-1 Sao Tome Principe
• 25/03/21 (AFCON qualifiers)
South Africa 1-1 Ghana
• 23/03/19 (AFCON qualifiers)
Ghana 1-0 Kenya
• 27/03/16 (AFCON qualifiers)
Mozambique 0-0 Ghana
• 24/03/16 (AFCON qualifiers)
Ghana 3-1 Mozambique
• 27/03/11 (AFCON qualifiers)
Congo 0-3 Ghana
W4 D2 GF11 GA3
• Since 1984, Angola have so far played 21 games in the month of MARCH in all completions.
W3 D6 L12 GF14 GA28
• Angola have so far played 6 AFCON Qualifiers games in the month of MARCH since 1984.
• 26/03/11 (AFCON Qualifiers)
Kenya 2-1 Angola
• 26/03/16 (AFCON Qualifiers)
DR Congo 2-1 Angola
• 29/03/16 (AFCON Qualifiers)
Angola 0-2 DR Congo
• 22/03/19 (AFCON Qualifiers)
Botswana 0-1 Angola
• 25/03/21 (AFCON Qualifiers)
Gambia 1-0 Angola
• 29/03/21 (AFCON Qualifiers)
Angola 2-0 Gabon
W2 L4 GF5 GA7
• LET'S LOOK AT GHANA GAMES ON THE MATCH DATE (MARCH 23RD) SINCE 1960.
• Saturday 23rd March, 2019 (AFCON qualifiers) [Group F]
At Accra Sports Stadium
Black Stars of Ghana 1-0 Harambee Stars of Kenya
• Debutant, Caleb Ekuban scored the only goal on the 83rd minutes.
• Both teams played for pride as they had already secured tickets for the 2019 AFCON.
• However, with the win, the Black Stars of Ghana topped Group F with nine (9) points, followed by Kenya on seven (7) points.
• LET'S LOOK AT ANGOLA GAMES ON THE MATCH DATE (MARCH 23RD) SINCE 1984.
• Saturday, 23rd March, 2013 (World Cup Qualifiers, Third Stage) [Group J]
Senegal 1-1 Angola
Moussa Sow 39'//Amaro 75'
• Standings after 6 games
1. Senegal - 12 points
2. Uganda - 8 points
3. Angola - 7 points
4. Liberia - 4 points
• Ghana are 1st with 4 points after match Day 2 and Angola on the other hand are 2nd with 4 points on the AFCON Group E qualifies log
LEAVE A COMMENT