2022 FIFA WORLD CUP PREVIEW: PORTUGAL VS GHANA
• The 1966 Third place, Portugal will lock horns with the 2010 Quarter-finals, Ghana in Group H opener fixture in the 2022 FIFA World Cup at the Ras Abu Aboud Stadium, Doha on Thursday, 24th November, 2022 evening in Qatar.
By: Isaac Amponsah Dr Ike and Bright Yeboah Taylor (byt)
Predictions: Home win/draw
• The 2022 FIFA World Cup is the 22nd edition since the competition started in 1930 is the 8th appearance for Portugal while it is the 4th appearance for Ghana.
• The Group H, Round 1 showdown on Thursday, 24th November, 2022 will be Portugal and Ghana Second ever meeting at the FIFA World Cup.
• Their only previous meeting at the FIFA World Cup was the 2014 edition held in Brazil.
Thursday, 26th June, 2014 (Group G) [Round 3]
Venue: Estadio Nacional de Brasilia
Portugal 2-1 Ghana
John Boye (OG) - 31', Cristiano Ronaldo 80'//Asamoah Gyan 57'
• NB: Joao Moutinho 90' (Portugal), Harrison Afful 39' (Ghana), Abdul Majeed Waris 55'(Ghana) & Jordan Ayew 78'(Ghana) were all yellow (????) carded.
• MATCH FACTS:
• The Navigators of Portugal are currently ranked 9th in the World by FIFA latest rankings on 6th October, 2022, their first International game was 18th December, 1921 (Spain 3-1 Portugal [Madrid, Spain].
• The Black Stars of Ghana are ranked 61st in the FIFA latest World rankings.Ghana head to Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup as the lowest-ranked side at the tournament.
• Ghana had their first International game on 28th May, 1950 (Gold Coast and British Togoland 1-0 Nigeria).
• Portugal most caps player is Cristiano Ronaldo 191 games with 117 goal in the National team jersey.
• Ghana most caps player is Andre Ayew with 110 games with 23 goals for the National team.
• The Navigators of Portugal top scorer for the National team is Cristiano Ronaldo with 117 goals in 191 caps.
• Ghana all-time top scorer for the National team is Asamoah Gyan with 51 goals in 109 games. Asamoah Gyan holds the record for most goals, six (6) scored by an African in the FIFA World Cup. Asamoah Gyan scored his Country's first goal at the FIFA World Cup in the 2006 edition.
Andre Ayew is the top scorer among active players of Ghana with 23 goals.
• Portugal have won only three (3) of their last fourteen (14) FIFA World Cup matches (D6 L5), each of them coming in the Group stage of the competition.
• Portugal last victory in the knock-out stage came in June 2006, when they progressed to the Quarter-finals thanks to a 1-0 win against the Netherlands.
• Portugal are winless in their last three (3) opening games at the FIFA World Cup tournament (D2 L1).
• Portugal have won their opening match in just one of their last five (5) FIFA World Cup appearances (D2 L2).
• Portugal have won three (3) and drawn one of their last four (4) FIFA World Cup matches against African opposition.
• Portugal have lost only one of their last twelve (12) FIFA World Cup Group stage matches (W6 D5).
• Despite this, having progressed from the Group stage in 2018, they could reach the knock-out stage in two (2) successive editions of the tournament for the second time, after doing so in the 2006 and 2010.
• Portugal need just one goal to reach the landmark of 50 goals scored at the FIFA World Cup.
• Portugal have kept only one clean sheet in their last eight (8) FIFA World Cup matches.
• Excluding penalty shoot-outs, Portugal have won only three (3) of their last fourteen (14) FIFA World Cup matches (D6 L5).
• Ghana are making their fourth appearance at the FIFA World Cup, each of these coming in the 21st century, since making their final tournament debut in the 2006 edition.
• The Black Stars of Ghana failed to progress past the Group stage only once before, although this was in their last participation in the 2014 edition of the FIFA World Cup.
• Ghana reached the Quarter-finals of the FIFA World Cup in the 2010 edition, which is the joint best finish for an African side in the competition, alongside Cameroon in the 1990 edition and Senegal in the 2002 edition.
• Ghana Black Stars have won only one (1) of their last seven (7) FIFA World Cup matches (D3 L3).
• Ghana Black Stars have found the net in each of their last five (5) FIFA World Cup games and could become the third African side to score in six (6) succession in the competition, after South Africa [six between 1994 & 1998] and Nigeria [eight between 1994 and 1998].
• Ghana have an average most shots-per-game in the FIFA World Cup among all teams competing in the 2022 edition (19).
• Ghana Black Stars have only failed to score in two (2) of their last eleven (11) FIFA World Cup matches.
• Black Stars of Ghana have kept only two (2) clean sheets in their previous twelve (12) FIFA World Cup matches since 2006 edition.
• Forty-one (41) of the Fifty-four (54) active FIFA and CAF members have never qualified for the final tournament since 1930.
• TEAM DEBUTS
• 1934 : Egypt
• 1970 : Morocco
• 1974 : DR Congo (Zaire)
• 1978 : Tunisia
• 1982 : Algeria & Cameroon
• 1994 : Nigeria
• 1998 : South Africa
• 2002 : Senegal
• 2006 : Ghana, Angola, Ivory Coast & Togo
• Coming into the 2022 tournament, Cristiano Ronaldo has scored in each of his seven (7) FIFA World Cup goals in the Group stage; indeed, the Portuguese has scored the most goals in the competition, seven (7) of any player yet to find the net in the knock-out stage [six (6) knock-out stage appearances without a goal].
• The Navigators' Cristiano Ronaldo is one of only four (4) players to score in four (4) different FIFA World Cup tournaments, alongside Pele, Uwe Seeler and Miroslav Klose. No player has found the net in five (5) editions.
• Cristiano Ronaldo is featuring for a record-equalling fifth time at the World Cup, he is the first Portuguese player to reach this total.
• The 2022 edition of the FIFA World Cup is the fourth major tournament for Fernando Santos in charge of Portugal, in each of his previous three(3) [two European Championship and the 2018 FIFA World Cup], he progressed from the Group stage, although was eliminated in the last 16 in both of the last two (2).
• Should Black Stars of Ghana captain, Andre Ayew play in the 2022 FIFA World Cup, he will have appeared in more matches in the competition than any current player for African nations (8, currently 7).
• Andre Ayew (2010 and 2014) and Jordan Ayew (2014) are the only players in the Ghana Black Stars squad with previous FIFA World Cup experience.
• Ghana coach, Otto Addo played and won two (2) games in the FIFA World Cup in the 2006, appearing against USA (2-1) and Czech Republic (2-0).
• SINCE 2008 EDITION OF THE EUROS, ANY TOP SCORER'S NATIONAL TEAM WINS THE NEXT t FIFA WORLD CUP.
• Euro 2008 top scorer - David Villa (4 goals) [Spain won the 2010 FIFA World Cup].
• Euro 2012 top scorer - Mario Gomez (3 goals) [Germany won the 2014 FIFA World Cup].
• Euro 2016 top scorer - Antoine Griezmann (6 goals) [France won the 2018 FIFA World Cup].
• Euro 2020 top scorer - Cristiano Ronaldo (5 goals) [2022 FIFA World Cup].
CAN PORTUGAL WIN THE 2022 EDITION IN QATAR?