EGYPT VS SENEGAL
2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS 1ST LEG PLAY-OFF
PREVIEW: EGYPT VS SENEGAL
• The Pharaohs of Egypt and Teranga Lions of Senegal battle it out at the Cairo International Stadium for a place in the Qatar 2022 World Cup on Friday night.
By: Isaac Amponsah (Dr Ike) and Bright Yeboah Taylor (byt)
Prediction: Home win/draw
HEAD-TO-HEAD SINCE 1986.
Total matches played - 13
Egypt wins - 6
Senegal wins - 4
Drawn games - 3
• THEIR LAST MEETING:
• Sunday, 6th Feb. 2022 (AFCON) [Grand-finals]
Senegal 0-0 Egypt
• Tonight encounter will be the first meeting between the Pharaohs of Egypt and the Teranga Lions of Senegal at the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers.
• The Pharaohs of Egypt first appearance at the FIFA World Cup was 1934 and have so far made three appearances in the competition (1934, 1990 & 2018).
• Egypt was the first African country to qualify for the World Cup. The time it took Egypt to qualify for two successive tournaments (56 years between 1934 and 1990) is a World Cup Record that is shared only with Norway (1938 and 1994).
• The Teranga Lions of Senegal first appearance at the FIFA World Cup was 2002 and they have so far 2 appearances (2002 & 2018).
• The Pharaohs of Egypt Best performance at the FIFA World Cup since their maiden edition in 1934 is Round of 16 in the 1934 tournament in Italy.
• Senegal advanced to the Quater-finals of the 2002 FIFA World Cup held in Japan and South Korea, becoming the second team from Africa (behind Cameroon in 1990).
• Egypt is currently ranked 34th by FIFA in the World while Senegal is the best team in Africa currently according to the latest FIFA rankings that put the Teranga Lions of Senegal at position 18 Internationally.
• Egypt and Senegal are currently the best teams in Africa, and it’s kind of a misfortune that they are pitted against each other for a single ticket to the Qatar 2022 World Cup.
• This is also the re-match of the 2021 African Cup of Nations Grand-finals, which saw the Senegalese lift the trophy for the first time in the competition history.
• The Pharaohs of Egypt had remained unbeaten through-out their FIFA World Cup qualification campaign, and had scored ten (10) goals in the group F, and conceded four (4) goals in six (6) games.
• The Pharaohs of Egypt won 14 of a possible 18 points as they went unbeaten in a group also containing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's Gabon.
• The Pharaohs of Egypty are on an unbeaten run at home since July of 2019.
• The Teranga Lions of Senegal too had a similar campaign in the Qualifiers. They had unbeaten run all through it, and scored fifteen (15) goals and conceded four (4) goals in six (6) games in Group H.
• The Teranga Lions of Senegal claimed 16 of 18 points from Togo, Namibia and Congo before landing the Egyptians in an extremely unkind draw.
• The Teranga Lions of Senegal are on an 18-fixture unbeaten run, and they had also remained invincible in 24 of their past 25 fixtures. And the last time they lost on the road was back in October 2020.
- Isaac Amponsah (Dr Ike) and Bright Yeboah Taylor (byt)